If you enjoyed a tricycle ride as a kid, the good news is that tricycles have grown up right along with you. Around Los Angeles, you can find adult-sized classic trikes, electric and solar-powered tricycles, low rider tricycles, and even a tricycle with a roof and walls.
There are plenty of options to buy and rent around Los Angeles, but just like when you were a kid and your parents were stressing safety, it’s just as important now when you hop on a trike. A ride locally can put you in the same lanes as the ever-present city traffic rush and a collision can quickly land riders in the hospital.
Help for Cycling Victims in Los Angeles
At Los Angeles Bicycle Law we want safe rides for every bicyclist and tricyclist in Southern California. But in the event of a scary accident, we want to support injured cyclists and make sure their needs are met as they recover. If a careless driver hit you and left you to face the consequences of his or her mistake our attorneys can make sure you get compensation for the many hardships you’ll face in the aftermath. You did not cause this accident and you should not have to deal with the financial burden alone.
Tricycle Accident Injury Risks In Los Angeles
Someone on a tricycle risks life and limb in any accident involving a motor vehicle. A trike rider has little protection in an impact and certainly a lot less than an occupant in a car or SUV. If the strike is hard enough riders will be thrown from the tricycle and endure a second impact when they land on the pavement.
Collision risks are more common in Los Angeles than anywhere in the state. With California cycling accidents tracked over seven years, Los Angeles County tragically ranks as the number one deadliest place for riders. The county saw 195 deaths in that time and the shocking fact is no other county reached even 100 deaths over that same period.
These accidents can be devastating for anyone not surrounded by metal and protected inside a vehicle. For tricyclists, the serious injuries that are possible can make for a scary list:
- Road Rash – A term used to describe abrasions caused when sent sliding along a road or sidewalk surface. A severe road rash case can remove so many layers of skin a skin graft may be required.
- Facial and Dental Injury – Cyclists sent from their bikes can land face-first leading to shattered facial bones and chipped teeth.
- Brain Injury –A traumatic brain injury (TBI) can cause a mild concussion or something more serious like memory loss and even permanent brain damage. Skulls can even fracture in impacts.
- Amputation – Limbs and digits can be lost or may need to be surgically removed if they can’t be saved.
- Paralysis – An accident may result in the loss of the ability to move parts of the body. Paraplegia is a loss of function in the lower half of the body and quadriplegia is a loss of function in both upper and lower regions.
- Broken Bones – Bones in the chest, neck, shoulders, and up and down the arms often fracture in cycling accidents.
- Joint Dislocation – Shoulder dislocations are one of the most common outcomes as riders throw out their arms to try to cushion a fall. An Acromio-Clavicular Joint Injury is an injury to the connection between the collar bone and the shoulder blade.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I still file a claim for damages if I wasn’t wearing a helmet?
In California, you don’t have to wear a helmet on a bicycle or tricycle if you are 18-years-old or older. If you are injured without a helmet you can still expect to recover damages from the at-fault driver. The award may be less if it’s determined that a helmet might have reduced your injuries, but the responsible driver can still be assigned a percentage of the blame and you can recover money from his or her insurance company.
What happens if the at-fault driver flees the scene of a Tricycle accident?
If a careless driver hits you and then drives away it’s still possible to get help with your hospital bills and other financial burdens caused by the accident. Hit-and-run victims can file a claim against their own auto insurance policy using the uninsured/underinsured portion of their coverage.
However, if the driver is eventually caught you can proceed with a civil lawsuit against that person and his or her insurance company. In a hit-and-run case, the driver will likely face criminal charges as well, but this won’t interfere with your civil claim to get compensation.
What expenses can I include in a tricycle accident claim?
You should expect to recover any expenses you occurred due to the accident itself. This includes medical expenses, lost time from work, travel expenses. Emotional and physical pain can also be monetized and awarded in a settlement.
Contact a Los Angeles Cycling Accident Attorney
At Los Angeles Bicycle Law, we concentrate our practice solely on cyclists who have been injured as a result of the carelessness and negligence of others. We’re dedicated and effective Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyers. If you were injured in a bicycle accident in or around Los Angeles or anywhere else in Southern California, contact us right away for a confidential free consultation and case review.