Sideswipe bicycle accidents occur when both a motor vehicle and a bicycle are traveling in the same direction, and the side of the vehicle hits the side of a bicycle, its rider or both. These types of accidents can cause serious bicycle crashes, rider injuries or even fatalities.
Given the fact that the size and weight of even a small subcompact car is so much greater than that of a bicycle and rider, even a light glancing blow can result in a rider losing control and crashing. If you or a family member are injured in such an accident, you’ll need to contact us as soon as possible to speak with a Los Angeles bicycle accident attorney about your legal options.
Causes of Sideswipe Bicycle Accidents
In traffic, there are only a few feet between motor vehicles who are traveling in the same direction. That distance can be covered in the blink of an eye at 25 mph. Here are some of the common causes of sideswipe bicycle accidents:
- Wide vehicles like trucks or buses that take up nearly an entire lane of traffic. Even just a slight move to the right for a wide vehicle can cause a sideswipe with a bicyclist.
- Driving distractions like cell phones or infotainment centers can divert a driver’s attention from the roadway for long enough to deviate from their lane of traffic.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs or a combination of the two can cause a driver to weave in traffic and sideswipe a bicyclist.
- Drivers miscalculating speed and distance when attempting to pass a bicyclist or make a turn.
Nearly all sideswipe bicycle accidents can be prevented. These accidents are particularly frightening for a bicyclist because he or she has hardly any way of avoiding a crash. Here are some common types of injuries that might be suffered by a sideswiped bicyclist:
- Traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries.
- Facial fractures and extensive dental damage.
- Rib fractures and damage to vital organs.
- Multiple fractures.
- Road rash with infection.
Don’t Give a Statement
An insurer will typically contact a bicycle accident victim a few days after an accident. After some conversation, the representative of that insurer will ask for a recorded statement from the victim “just to wrap up liability.” Never give any type of a written or oral statement to an insurer without an attorney being present on your behalf. No matter what the insurer’s representative says, politely refuse to give any type of a statement, and call us instead.
Our law firm exclusively represents victims of bicycle accidents in and around Los Angeles. After being injured in a sideswipe accident that was caused by the carelessness and negligence of somebody else, contact our offices for a free consultation with a bicycle accident lawyer from our offices. We’ll be pleased to answer your questions and explain all of your legal options to you. The sooner that you consult with and retain us, the sooner we can begin pursuing the compensation that you deserve.
Contact a Bicycle Injury Lawyer
Los Angeles Bicycle Law represents bicyclists because we are bicyclists. We know first-hand how rewarding, yet dangerous, cycling can be in the Los Angeles area. Even though the law treats bicyclists with the responsibilities and rights of a motor vehicle, the road itself offers far fewer protections. That is why we actively fight to protect bicyclists in our community. If you have been injured in a bicycle accident in Los Angeles, contact Los Angeles Bicycle Law today.