Experienced bicyclists are aware of the dangers that they face whenever they’re on a roadway. Regardless of that, they’re fully unprepared if a dangerously defective bike part causes them to lose control and crash. If you suffered serious injuries as a result of a crash caused by a dangerously defective bicycle part, you might be eligible for compensation for your injuries and damages.
Examples of Dangerous Bicycle Defects
A bicycle might be determined to be dangerously defective for a variety of reasons. Here are a few examples:
- An improperly welded frame.
- A defective carbon fiber frame.
- Fork failure.
- Improperly attached pedals.
- Seat post failure.
- Defective brakes.
Severe injuries can result from an accident that was caused by a dangerously defective bicycle, especially if the cyclist was traveling at a high speed. Those injuries can include the following:
- Traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries.
- Multiple extremity fractures.
- Facial fractures and trauma.
- Dental injuries.
- Joint damage.
- Road rash with infection.
- Wrongful death.
Types of Product Defects
There ae three types of product defects that might result in an entity being held liable for injuries and damages suffered in a bicycle accident. Those follow:
- Design Defects: These involve the plans and prints of a product before it’s ever manufactured. When there is a design defect with a product, that defect will be present in every such product that’s made.
- Manufacturing Defects: These types of defects occur in the manufacturing or assembly processes. Only a handful of such dangerous defects are present in the product line.
- Marketing Defects: This type of defect appears in the context of a failure to warn users of certain dangerous characteristics of a product by failing to provide proper instructions for its use.
Who Can a Product Liability Case be Brought Against?
If a dangerously defective bicycle or a component part of one caused a crash and injuries, it’s possible for a victim to bring a product liability lawsuit. Under California product liability law, any entity involved with manufacturing that bicycle can be held liable. Such entities include the manufacturer, distributor, wholesale, retailer and even manufacturers of component parts.
Contact a Bicycle Injury Lawyer
Los Angeles Bicycle Law represents bicyclists because we are bicyclists. We know first-hand how rewarding, yet dangerous, cycling can be in the Los Angeles area. Even though the law treats bicyclists with the responsibilities and rights of a motor vehicle, the road itself offers far fewer protections. That is why we actively fight to protect bicyclists in our community. If you have been injured in a bicycle accident in Los Angeles, contact Los Angeles Bicycle Law today.
Our law firm practices exclusively in the area of bicycle accident law in the greater Los Angeles area. We’ve been doing that for many years now. If you were injured in a bicycle accident, and you believe that it was caused by a defective part, don’t have the bike repaired or part replaced. Contact our offices right away for a free consultation and case evaluation. Our objective is to get you the maximum compensation that you deserve.